Dano, Melissa, Kennedy, Ethan, Erin, Abigail, and Emily

Dano, Melissa, Kennedy, Ethan, Erin, Abigail, and Emily

26 February 2010

The Name Says it All

When a parent has a child a lot of thought goes into naming the child. The same is true for Muslims, especially when it is a son. We have learned that Allah has 99 names. Naturally they reverence these names, but they also proudly display them. They can be found on rugs, silver platters, clocks, plates, anything decorative. Many of the people here carry one of the names of Allah. However, the names often begin with Abdul…sound familiar? I apologize if anyone already knew this, but it was new and interesting to me. Dano decided to ask someone at work about the name Abdul after Ethan spoke of several of his friends named “Abdulrockmon,” as Ethan pronounced it. We all thought that was a really cool sounding name. One of Dano’s friends at work told him it was actually Abdulrahman (the h’s are often said with a guttural emphasis). He told him ‘Abd’ is Arabic for servant and ‘ul’ means ‘of’; so when you combine the two you create Abdul meaning servant of….then they commonly add one of the ninety-nine names of Allah. Abdulrahman’s name means “servant of the all beneficent, the most gracious.” Ethan’s other friend, Abdulaziz’s name means “servant of the all mighty.” One of our driver’s has a son named Muqtadir, (no Abdul) meaning “The Dominant.” So next time you meet someone named Abdul ‘something’ maybe you’d like to ask them if their subsequent name is one of the ninety-nine names of Allah and what it means. I am finding that they are happy to talk about their religion when someone takes an interest (hmmm…who does that sound like?!).

One of the other phrases I have learned since moving here is “Insha’Allah” which technically means “God willing.” It is said all the time! When the pharmacist wouldn’t have my prescription in for two weeks and I asked him if I came back in two weeks he would for sure have it he said, “Yes, Insha’Allah”.” When the network was down at the mall and credit cards were not working (this happens all too frequently) and the store clerk was showing me where the ATM was and I asked him if the network was down if the ATMs would be working he replied, “Sure, Insha’Allah”.” When we went to find little girl size abbayas at the souk where we bought abbayas for me and Kennedy and they didn’t have any we really liked we told them we would be back another time, they smiled and said, “Insha’Allah.” When I was trying to confirm with the driver that he would be outside to pick up me and Abby at 12:00, he told me, “Yes, yes, Insha’Allah”.” Dano had warned me this was way overused and I was beginning to think he was right. People had told me it just means, “I hope so.” After reading about it, I can understand why they believe they should say this. It comes from the Qur’an. One of the verses basically says you should speak of nothing of the future without adding, “So please God!” because nothing is in your power, and by not saying “Insha’Allah” you are not acknowledging Allah’s power in what is to come. While here I have quickly developed an admiration for Muslims’ devotion to their faith (most of them) and gained a fondness for seeing a small group praying together at a gas station or section of the mall during prayer time. However, this is something I have found to be too repetitive and comes too close to using the Lord’s name in vain. Although we know that Heavenly Father is omnipotent we also know that we can take responsibility and accountability for our actions. For me and Dano, we’ve decided that this is one Arabic phrase we will not become accustomed to saying.

While on the subject I will say I was pleasantly surprised by a comment made at an assembly I attended at the school. It was not meant for parents, but not knowing the ‘rules’ of the school and wanting to see Ethan narrate his class’ production for their Key stage assembly I invited myself. After receiving permission from the teacher and some other school authority that I could stay (can you sense my snarkiness) I was politely seated to watch with the other teachers and classes (Years 4-6). At these weekly assemblies they discuss behavior and events and student merits (I promise I am working to put together an entire blog on the school adventure). After the Head of the Prep School strictly encouraged the pupils to make sure they are wearing proper socks and not writing on their hands and then very strongly admonished them that foul mouths would absolutely not be tolerated, the music teacher added that he would like to hear no more taking of the Lord’s name in vain. He finds it very offensive. As he went on about this in a firm but respectful manner, I was shocked but so pleased, trying to remember what kind of school we were at…private but not religiously affiliated…could they do that?!! Well, they did! (I even caught Ethan’s eye as he turned and smiled a big smile at me. This has always been very sensitive to him, too.) He went on to say that just because they hear things on the radio or telly doesn’t make it right to say it and he didn’t want to hear it anymore at school. I couldn’t wait to go up and meet him and tell him how appreciative I was of his mentioning this. I was really so moved. Maybe it’s just because someone was expressing some of my own religious beliefs out in the open, something I haven’t been able to do, except at our closed church setting. However, Ethan’s teacher came right up to me and I missed him. Ethan did, however, talk with him at his next music class. He was very happy Ethan mentioned it.

All said, I am happy with the focus on faith that is found here. I was talking with a Saudi/Egyptian mom of Erin’s friend and discussing our life and impressions here. Several times through our conversation she told me “Masha’Allah” and finally told me it means “God’s praises be upon you.” It is also used in a congratulatory or appreciative manner and literally means “God has willed it.” We do feel God’s will in our life and are glad He has willed us this great opportunity of living here.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

What a sweet and informative post. I appreciate being able to have an adventure vicariously though you.

Unknown said...

We are really enjoying your adventures. I print them out and take them home and Danny really enjoys them as well. Keep up the good work, it is just simply amazing and you have such a nack at keeping things very interesting. Mom & Dad Lister

Linda Deady said...

Hello Lister Family! Melissa, we met briefly at the Leadership Council in Rome. Dano told me about your blog. It is not only interesting and informative, it is also very well written. I am going to share your blog with some Greif HR co-workers and we will all be looking forward to your new entries. It will be like reading a novel chapter by chapter. Please keep it up! take care, Linda Deady