Dano, Melissa, Kennedy, Ethan, Erin, Abigail, and Emily

Dano, Melissa, Kennedy, Ethan, Erin, Abigail, and Emily

28 March 2010

As-Salaam Aleekum



In our quest to become bilingual, Dano and I began our Arabic lessons about three weeks ago. Dano works for just about one of the best companies. To help with our life-adjusting move, they are providing language training for us. Our instructor is from Egypt and is quite good with English, a necessity for me. He comes to our home twice a week for instruction. The first time he came, Dano was not home yet and I invited him in. He promptly asked if he could pray, as it was the beginning of saleh. He asked which way was East (as you may know they must pray facing Makkah). I had no idea so I pulled out my iphone and thanks to the handy compass app, was able to point him the right way. So each time he comes, he kneels and prays in our living room while Dano and I hang out in the kitchen for seven or eight minutes.

Dano is excelling at Arabic (over-achiever!) and I am doing my best to keep up! Hakeem has made mention that my ‘southern’ is affecting my pronunciation. (When we were receiving instruction while still in Ohio, Dano and I were practicing repeating the phrases of our tutor. I promise, I do my best to exactly replicate exactly what is being said. At one point, Naveen looked at me, appalled, and, raising her finger said, “No! That is Hebrew!” Mea culpa! I would not want to sound like I’m speaking Hebrew here! That would just not go over well!) All I can say is thank goodness I’m not a super-phlegmmy person! We have begun by learning the basic greetings. For Saudis, the first five minutes of their conversations are consumed by greeting each other in about five different ways, mingled with a little kissing exchange. Although Dano has done very well greeting everyone from hotel clerks to security guards to random Saudis who approach us, I have not seen him engage in any of the kissing. I am certain that some of his success comes just because he’s smart and quick, but some of it comes because he’s in settings where he is able to use it. He has impressed many co-workers as he uses it at work. As I mentioned, he also uses it wherever we go. I’m not able to because no one talks to me and I’m not supposed to speak to anyone. I get my practice when I visit the school, which is seldom (only on pre-arranged parent days). So, Dano is my practice and he’s very patient with me and likes my ‘southern!’

This past week Dano was in Riyadh for a couple of days so I received individual instruction which was very helpful for me. Hakeem came in and prayed as normal and then we began. As we sat there I noticed a large mole or birthmark on his forehead that I had not noticed before. After about twenty minutes, he rubbed his forehead (probably out of exasperation with my awkward pronunciation), made a little snort, and out of the corner of my eye I saw him remove a raisin that had stuck to his forehead during his prayer. (Have I mentioned that Abby loves raisins?) Apparently she had dropped one on our beautiful rug and he happened to kneel down right in the spot, bent over to pray and it stuck to his forehead! I really was torn between pretending not to notice, being mortified, and plain bursting out in laughter. Fortunately I leaned toward the mortified, apologized (through a slight smile I couldn’t help), and disposed of the smushed raisin.

Overall, I’m excited for this great opportunity. I’m excited to hear Dano use it when we’re out. I’m excited to hear the children use it (Hakeem was very impressed with Ethan’s grasp of Arabic). I just have to keep reminding myself that we’re learning it as a child learns to speak, first by learning the alphabet and numbers and then building up to simple, commonly used phrases. I am seeing the great effects of learning a language while completely immersed. Erin sings us little songs in Arabic. Kennedy is slowly being able to read signs while we’re driving around, while I am becoming more adept with the letters and numbers by translating license plates. I can’t help but think that years down the road this exposedness to Arabic will be a great benefit to our family. Ma as-salaama

5 comments:

Bobbi said...

Melissa:
I have been following your blog, as it gives me a lot of information regarding the culture and country. I find this one so very funny about the raisin. Just had to tell you it was great.
Bobbi Rogers

Angela Dougherty said...

Haha, I laughed about the raisin too, poor guy! We just love reading your blog and miss you!

The Crunkletons said...

So funny!

Anonymous said...

So funny! Abby really is hilarious! She can and will say Shokran (thank you) and Afwan (your welcome). Yes, I can read Arabic and my Arabic teacher at school is very happy at how quickly I have picked it up.

Dara Porter said...

LOVE the raisin story!
Does Kennedy have her own blog?