Dano, Melissa, Kennedy, Ethan, Erin, Abigail, and Emily

Dano, Melissa, Kennedy, Ethan, Erin, Abigail, and Emily

11 June 2010

Broken Intuition

So Dano whimsically informed me a couple weeks ago that my intuition is broken. We went to the doctor and found out we are adding another girl to our family. Shocker for us. I was so certain that we were missing a boy from our family…therein lies my broken intuition. People have politely sighed and wondered if we’re okay with it….mostly how Ethan’s taking it. He bravely tried to put on a good face but eventually shed a few tears, but only a few. He was very excited the next day to tell his school friends that he was going to have another sister. He practically burst. I was so pleased to hear it. He is genuinely excited. He has since turned those dinner conversations to “So. What shall we name our new baby sister?” The girls are excited either way. As for me and Dano, it’s really hard to be disappointed when we have been blessed with such wonderful, beautiful daughters. Our only concern was for Ethan. He seems to recall and rely on Dano’s words of comfort when we found out Abby was going to be a girl. He told Ethan, “Heavenly Father must think you’re a very special boy to send you sisters to look after and care for.”

We’re very happy to report that she is completely healthy as far as major functions go and growing right on schedule, if not a little bigger. I never cease to be amazed at technology and what it does for medicine these days. I have switched doctors and hospitals and find it to be a more comfortable, relaxing choice. When I was given my next appointment of July 4th, I took a second glance and nearly asked if she was sure they were open that day. Good thing I caught myself. I can only imagine the blank stare of confusion she would have given me. Our kids are still a little miffed that they have to go to school that day. But, as we’ve told them, why would the British want to recognize or celebrate our independence from them?!

So, aside from my intuition being broken we are all happy and healthy and in one piece, anticipating the new chapter this new life will bring in October.

5 comments:

The Smith's - said...

We are so excited for another Lister girl! You don't need another boy when you got the perfect one already, we love Ethan!

Unknown said...

I agree with the Smith's. One other thing to remember, Ethan was a girl in Utah and then in Michagan really was a boy. Sometimes we never know what Heavenly Father has for us. Either way a child in your home is truly BLESSED. Love you all Grandma

Angela Dougherty said...

Congratulations! We are so excited for you to have another little girl, and I think Dano said it perfectly. Heavenly Father must think Ethan is a pretty special boy to look after all of his sisters. Good luck with that broken intuition... ;)

Effie said...

Melissa, I was so excited to read that you are expecting another bundle of joy. China has been giving me grief for the past long time and I seem to not be able to access your blog. This so annoys me. We are in Japan today on our way to the US so I was able to check up a little on your blog. I will read more in the US. Hope all is well.

Rachel said...

Yeah! We have told tucker many times he is special to be the only boy and have so many sisters to protect. July 4th around the corner and no excitement for us either. Why are the kids still in school?