Dano, Melissa, Kennedy, Ethan, Erin, Abigail, and Emily

Dano, Melissa, Kennedy, Ethan, Erin, Abigail, and Emily

27 October 2011

Happy Birthday, Emily!

Happy Birthday, Emily! After a year of chiding (and rightfully deserved) we have finally taken a family photo and added Emily to our family blog…on her birthday, no less.

We celebrated with our good friends, the Sterris, who gave Emily this wonderfully soft, over-sized pooch.
Emily’s first cake was my first attempt at homemade fondant. I have loved decorating the kids’ birthday cakes over the past several years and look forward to experimenting more with this new medium that has been so intimidating to me. She seemed to love the little ghost and the little candy corn cake Kennedy made for her. Unfortunately we didn’t get a picture of it. (very cute!)
We think she was thinking, “Buttercream! Where have you been all my life?!”
Emily definitely makes our home brighter. From the beginning, she has been our “Sunshine.” She is a delightful baby who has easily learned to roll with the crazy schedule this family leads. She is officially classified as a walker, as in up on two legs. (We’ve confused Abby with this, as my sister’s married name is Walker. “She’s not a Walker! She’s a Lister!”) She loves to walk and push her little baby stroller, sometimes with a passenger, sometimes without.
As a one year old, some of the things she loves are:

*Her baby doll and blanket (the pink one with flowers; NOT the pink one with sheep)
*Talking about everything (wa-dubba-dubba, idda bidda, yudda yudda, and a lot of other serious conversational sounds)

*Jewelry (if you’ve got a necklace on, please consider sharing)
*Bananas (Mom loves Oxy Carpet Spray)
*Singing in the car (I think my Hilary Weeks is rubbing off)

*11:30 (we get to pick up Abby from pre-school…wishes it was her school)
*Hanging out with Abby when she’s home (I can see in her eyes that she truly believes she has the best big sisters ever!)

*3:30 (pick up rest of kids…loves, loves! seeing them again)
*Riding around on her little push car and rocking in the boat
*Reading books by herself or with mom or dad or one of the kids

*Talking to the animals during our drives, especially the sheep (she has a very cute “baaa baaa” and is working on “mmmooooo”)
*Playing peek-a-boo around the corners of walls or doors


Not much bothers this little one, but she is completely offended if you try to wipe her nose or put tights on her (as opposed to socks, they are very difficult to take off!)


Ethan was looking at her the other day and I could hear a sigh when he told us, “It’s hard to believe it’s been a whole year since she was born. It went so fast!”

Tell me about it. So will the next ten…

7 comments:

Jen said...

I love the new blog! Hooray for Emily officially being part of the online family. The cake turned out really cute! As far as being a Walker--we'll take her any time.

Effie said...

So fun to meet Emily! Love the family photo! Are you all settled in now?

Marie Hatch Chambers said...

Happy Birthday, cute girl! She sounds like a joy. How blessed you all are to have each other.

Dara Porter said...

I can't believe it's been a year either. What a sweetheart--Jason will fall in love fast. :)
Sorry to hear about the frustrations you've had with the move, I'm sure things will work out.....look how they worked out moving to Saudi! Love the new blog look and the new family picture! (We finally took one with Jason too....sad that it took a year)

Company EIGHT said...

Oh my goodness, Melissa--she is a dolly! I have the same feelings about buttercream. :)

P.S. Love the new family pic!!!

Marisa said...

I cannot believe she is already a year! I remember being so envious last year this time when I was miserably pregnant and you'd already had her ;). She is just toooooo cute! I laughed at the walker comment....so darling!

Barbara said...

*sigh* I just so thoroughly enjoyed being introduced to your little Emily! What a delight.